How to Treat Shingles
How to Treat Shingles
Associated with the same virus that causes chicken pox, which is the herpes varicella-zoster virus, shingles is a common condition that affects many people. Hopefully this information will show you how to treat shingles effectively and help in reducing pain from shingles. It can cause a lot of pain and discomfort for sufferers, and can linger on for weeks. Unsurprisingly, those who realise they are suffering from this condition are keen to get suitable treatment for shingles as quickly as possible in order to try and speed up their recovery time.
When it comes to shingles treatment, you do need to make sure you sort out appropriate treatment as quickly as possible, as this can help to reduce the chances of the symptoms becoming more severe. In addition to getting the right medication to treat shingles there are also various steps you can take at home to reduce discomfort and speed up recovery.
How to Treat Shingles and Get Relief
Getting relief from shingles involves using appropriate treatment and taking steps at home to try and speed up your recovery. When it comes to medication and treatment for the condition, the severity of the shingles will help to determine which treatment you will need. Some of the treatments you may need to use in order to alleviate symptoms and boost recovery include antihistamines, painkillers, and antiviral medication. This is to deal with the itching, inflammation, pain, and also to try and combat the spread of the virus. The different treatments are designed to deal with different aspects of the condition, including:
- Antihistamines – to help reduce itching in the affected area
- Painkillers – to help in reducing pain from shingles
- Antiviral Medications – to help combat the spread of the virus and promote faster recovery
How to Treat Shingles – Without Medication
In addition to using shingles treatments and drugs, there are also certain steps where you can use home remedies for shingles to speed up your recovery. Some of the steps on How to Treat Shingles and reduce discomfort and increase the chances of faster recovery include:
- Cooling the affected area: Using a cold compress such as a towel or cloth soaked with cold water can help to soothe and ease the itching
- Resting: Your body needs time to recover in order to help you get over shingles, so you should take plenty of bed rest
- Loose clothing: Wearing loose clothing will help to reduce the risk of itching and discomfort
- Luke warm bath: Taking a lukewarm bath can help to ease the discomfort of your condition – you can buy over the counter skin soothing products to add to the water to aid healing
A combination of medication and home remedies can help you to get over the symptoms of shingles with greater speed.